Fruits and Veggies Helpful Hints
Here are some tips to help keep your produce from spoiling before their time.
1. Wrap cucumbers in plastic wrap, even before you cut them. Store in crisper drawer.
2. Don’t wash fruit before storing in refrigerator, wash before you eat it.
3. Remove leaves from strawberries and store unwashed in a plastic container in the frig.
4. Buy fruits and vegetables from stores that don’t warehouse it first. Aldi and Trader Joe’s have the longest lasting produce.
5. Store tomatoes on the counter, not in the refrigerator.
6. Cut the stem ends off heads of lettuce and soak the lettuce in water for a good 10 minutes. Lettuce loves water and you will notice a real difference in texture when you do this. Be sure to pat the leaves dry, or spin dry in a salad spinner. Store in a zip lock bag.
7. Cut the skins of oranges and grapefruit as if you were peeling a potato. Then, cut into wedges and store in a container in the frig. You’ll find you eat more fruit this way. It’s ready to “grab and go”.
8. Salad topping suggestions: dried cherries, garbanzo beans, black beans, canned beets, hard boiled eggs, sliced, fresh mushrooms, black olives, dried Durkee onions, radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded cheese, cottage cheese, croutons……